Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Grandfathers love for this country


Well, it's the 4th of July. I have so many emotions and opinions about today and what it represents. Our country has taken a dramatic turn since that day we declared Independence. We have gone from a people who want little government and no ruling hand telling us what we can and can't do, to a welfare society looking for the next hand out.

My grandfather came here from Sicily. He always use to say that the Mafia ruled there and if you wanted to get anywhere in life, it had to be with them or though them. They required payments for safety, loyalty above all others, they were the ruling hand. When my family came here, my Great grandfather Rosario was well aware that if he wanted freedom and peace for his son, America was the answer.

I wonder what great grandpa would think about us now. Would he be proud of the way we have sat back and watched our country lose its sovernty to the United nations? Would he be proud at all our freedoms being whisked away in long bills, no one has read, voted on in mass rushes clothed in emergency's?

I doubt it. My grandpa, the young boy, new to America, remembered coming to America as a celebration. In fact, because of their origins in the farm town of Combello Sicily, they were unsure of their birthdays. When they had to register in the new country, they all claimed their birthdays as July 4th.

Our country's Independence became their new date of birth, their new life. It had started. Tears come to my eyes as I write this. The fact that so much joy, so much love for this country was carried over in my family on that boat brings me pride like no other.

Today, my grandfather who graduated from Cornell law school in two years, served in the Air Force as a pilot, served on the NY state supreme court, and ran for President against John F Kennedy was a true American.

He believed in this country. He knew we had great potential.

Please don't forget why your family came here. We are a wild, proud, fighting, independent people. We come from explores who left their country's to give their families the gift of freedom.

We need to honor their memories and never forget that this country is GREAT! We are Americans! We are FREE! We need to never ever forget that the politicians are not America, WE ARE AMERICA!

God Bless you and the many who have died for us in glory to keep us free. Please don't let our families sacrifices to leave all known lands, to come here, to make us free, be in vain.

As my grandfather today lies in bed, suffering from the horrible disease of Altimers, he is unaware of the road we have started on. For that I am thankful. I don't think he would be pleased with us one bit. In fact, he want to kick our wimpy asses back to Sicily.

No comments:

Post a Comment